Nothing make me happier than turning on my diffuser, and making my home smell amazing! There are so many benifits to diffusing essential oils and I’ve spent the past 2 months personally testing out over 25 different models available on the market. Tune in to discover the best diffusers on the market today. You’ll also find exclusive coupons and offers for some of my favorite diffusers.
4 Reasons to Diffuse Essential Oils Everyday
- Reaches Your Emotional Brain: There is no better way to reach the limbic system of your brain than through smell and the target use of essential oils. Diffusing essential oils in your home can promote relaxation, good sleep, and may even help heal you of emotional traumas. The limbic system is a powerful part of our brains and can affect our whole lives, so giving it some extra love and attention is always good.
- Increase Happiness and Energy: Essential oils are full of oxygenating molecules. This means when you breathe in essential oil molecules into your body you are essentially (pun intended) giving your brain and blood better performance. This can lead to more energy and better moods. Oils like lemon, peppermint, and citrus fresh (a Young Living combination of citrus oils that’s simply devine!)
- Non-Toxic Air Freshener/Purifier: Did you know that Americans spend roughly 88% of their time inside! Diffusing essential oils helps keep your air clean and healthy. Unlike scented candles, plug ins, or synthetic air fresheners which are quite literally toxic to your body, A good quality, therapeutic grade Essential oil will be 100% all-natural, with no added chemicals or additives. They will make your house smell amazing and keep your air clean and pure. (Note- a good quality essential oil that has no additives or chemicals added to it can be hard to find. There is very little regulation in this industry and companies can slap pretty much any misleading term onto a bottle such as “pure” “therapeutic”, or “all natural,” without it necessarily being so. That’s why we at .Revolution Oils like a trust Young Living Essential Oils. Learn more about the Young Living difference HERE).
- Supports Your Respiratory System: Diffusing oils is the best way to get those therapeutic drops of heaven into your lungs and into your respiratory system. Oils in the air support your respiratory system to help you breathe better and give an extra healthy boost to your lungs.
Understanding the Different Types of Diffusers
- Humidifiers: Simple humidifiers typically use heat to vaporize the water in the unit and dispense it into the air for the purpose of adding moisture to an environment. These types of machines are NOT recommended to use with a therapeutic grade essential oil because the heat can degrade the effectiveness of the oil. Plus, the high concentration of water might dilute the effectiveness of the oil and might not be good for many situations.
- Ultrasonic Diffusers: These diffusers are the most popular types of machines you’ll see on the market right now (although read on to learn why this might change). It uses ultrasonic technology (basically super fast sound vibrations that are inaudible) to put oil molecules into the air without needed the use of heat. This cold technology preserves the integrity of the oil. Water is needed to mix with your oil for diffusion, but typically won’t add a significant amount of water into the air.
- Nebulizers: Nebulizer diffusers require no water and also do not use heat. Both of these factors are what make nebulizers one of the most powerful forms of diffusing essential oils for therapeutic use. Some model will work by screwing the entire bottle of oil onto the unit, and other you can drop a certain amount of oil into the unit for use. These diffusers can have a tendency to last longer than other types, as well as cover a much larger square footage. The only downside is that they do tend to use a larger amount of oil to work. This can be potentially minimized by mixing a small amount of almond oil or quality vodka to your mixture, or, because the molecules last longer in the air, simply turn the unit off more frequently.
Personally, at first, I was a bit skeptical and weary of nebulizer diffusers. But after personally testing over 25 diffusers, many of which were nebulizers, I am thoroughly switched over to the dark side. I will be using my nebulizer diffusers more more frequently than my ultrasonics from now on. I like the convenience of not having to pour in water, and the way it puts so much oil in the air so quickly without adding extra humidity….but when guests come over who might be overwhelmed by a huge oil smell, or for at night when i just want a little oil running through the night, I’ll definitely be reverting back to my ultrasonics.
The Top 5 Diffusers for Essential Oils
(Broken into 5 Categories)
Please note that some of the prices may have changed since this post was last updated.
During my 2 month experiment testing over 25 different diffuser makes and models, I’ve compiled this list of my top 5 diffusers, in 5 distinct categories:
Most Powerful Diffusers:
Sometimes you just need to pump out some oil! These diffusers are all very strong models that I would expect to last a very long time.
First Place: The Organic Aroma Nebulizer Diffuser -$99 (Nebulizer)
Yup that’s the podcast logo engraved on there!
Ok, Wow! Do I love this diffuser! It’s just $99 for the beautiful wood base and glass top, or upgrade to a custom laser engraved design for just $149. This one claims first prize due to it’s amazing output, yet super quiet motor which personally, I love in a diffuser! I’m still in awe of how quiet it is for it’s power.
Organic Aromas has many different design options as well for the wood base as well as different shaped glass tops. They also have hand carved designs as well that are to die for! Use coupon code: BQR845 for $5 off.
Second Place: The AromaLux from Young Living: $109 (Nebulizer)
Boy can this baby pump out some oil! Really no comparison as far as output goes. And the timing features on this unit are amazing. You can choose how many minutes on, how many off, and the overall timer too. The only reason I put this at number 2 for the category is simply because it’s on the louder side. The motor has a distinct hum noise when it’s running. But if noise level isn’t an issue for you, this one may be your best bet. At $109 wholsale it’s a great deal. Plus all Young Living’s diffusers all have one year warranty. (Click here to learn how to become a wholesale member with no fees and no obligations).
Third Place: The Whisper Premium Silent Misting Diffuser by Abundant Health $89.95 (Ultrasonic)
This is the only ultrasonic diffuser that snagged a place in this category. It’s incredible how extreamly quiet this machine is, yet how much oil it can kick out. Plus the disposable cups are beyond genius! I enjoyed everything about this diffuser except for the light feature which is hard to reach underneath the unit. At $89.95 this sturdy and very quite machine is well worth the cost.
Most Economical Diffusers:
Looking for something simple and affordable? Here are some great options. They might not cover a large space, but the quality seems top notch for the price. I would expect any of these diffusers to run well for at least a year if not longer. Please note that some of the prices may have changed since this post was last updated.
First Place: Koko Aromas- Zen Mist Diffuser $35 (Ultrasonic).
At just $35 on Amazon Prime, this quality ultrasonic diffuser is a steal. I was very pleased with the quality, the output, the large capacity, the very quiet motor, the light features, and the intermittent features. I was equally impressed by the other ultrasonic models from Koko Aroma such as the Venus Glass ($39.95), and the Athena ($42) All of the Koko Aroma models I found to be beautiful, unique looking, straight forward, and sturdy. The Athena is officially my son’s diffuser now. He loves the remote. But be careful! if you lose the Athena remote, you’re out of luck. No buttons on the unit itself to turn it on and off. P.S. You can save 10$ off of your first order by using KOKO20KK directly on their website http://www.kokoaroma.com/
Second Place: The Anton by Pilgram– $35 (Ultrasonic)
At just $35, this sturdy machine is a bargain. All of the designs from Pilgram I found to be simple, modern (think IKEA designs), and straight-forward. Be sure to check out the Teo, the Alpha, and the Sophia as well from Pilgram. All great options.
Third Place: The TaoTronics 300 ML Woodgrain Diffuser $35 (Ultrasonic)
Just $35 on Amazon. The bamboo design might win you over over the others. I chose it for third place simply because it requires two hands to handle instead of one. I like being able to refill my diffusers while holding my toddler girl on one hip!
Most Beautiful Diffusers:
If looks could kill, these diffusers would be in jail! All of these designs are not only beautiful, but powerful too. Beauty and brawns eh!
First Place: The Aria from Young Living $225 (Ultrasonic)
Wow! What a gorgeous work of art. The soft blue glow with the misting haze through the glass…stunning. Plus the remote control and optional spa music are a nice touch. Only downsides are if you lose the remote, or the cost. At $225 wholsale, it’s not exactly cheap, BUT if you bundle with the Young Living Premium Starter Kit it’s an amazing deal. Just $260 for the Aria PLUS the start kit (11 essential oils and more). Click here to find out how to get the Aria plus premium start kit for just $260.
Second Place: The Organic Aroma Nebulizer Diffuser -$99 (Nebulizer)
Again, I love this diffuser (see most powerful category above). But what’s even better than the power behind this nebulizer diffuser is the beautiful customization options. For just $50 extra you can have any picture laser engraved into the base. Or check out their incredible hand-carved options. Get $5 off with coupon code: BQR845
Third Place: Sage Nebulizer Diffusers– $65.95 (Nebulizer)
This small family owned company is on the right track with their powerful and elegant nebulizer diffusers. The various options for glass tops with rich colored wood bases, combined with the fact that this is just about the ONLY nebulizer on the market selling for less than $99 (it’s just $65.95 on Amazon right now), gives this diffuser a warm place in my heart. The motor for this diffuser runs a little louder than most and was too loud to use in my bedroom, but I have it proudly displayed in my living room and use it for just about every occasion. Use coupon code: OILSROCK for $7 on Amazon.
Best Travel Diffusers:
On the go or saving space? These small portable units are top in their class.
First Place: Thera Lux Diffuser by Edens Garden– $79.99 (Nebulizer)
Oh heavens! I’m in love! This little USB powered nebulizer diffuser is so compact, yet super powerful at the same time. It’s not going to cover as much square footage as a bigger nebulizer, but pretty close. And the timing functions are super great for this machine. The design is nothing to write home about, but it’s quality and timing features have be falling head over heals in love. I’ll be taking this baby with me on every vacation or trip! It is on the pricer side but I should think it would last a lifetime.
Second Place: The Tao Tronics Portable Diffuser– $16 (Ultrasonic).
This was so hard to give second place, because at just $16, holy cow! This little machine is a beast! It’s about the size of a water bottle and super compact for easy traveling. Won’t cover a big space by any means, but for traveling and simple spaces, this low cost diffuser is a steal!
Third Place: Abundant Health Ultra Mini USB Diffuser– $15 (Ultrasonic).
It’s so little! About the size of a lemon. You can plug this into any USB port, and at just $15 it’s pretty hard to beat! It does require water and refillable wicks for use, and will only cover a very small space. I keep this baby packed away in my doula bag.
Best Overall Diffusers:
First Place: The Organic Aroma Nebulizer Diffuser–$99 (Nebulizer)
Winning prizes in both the most beautiful, most powerful, (and, my secret prize category; most quiet!) the Organic Aroma’s nebulizer diffusers have me smiling every time I recommend one. At $99 they are not exactly cheap, but an incredible value for such a long-lasting, and beautiful machine. And, their custom laser engraved designs and hand-carved bases are just incredible! I also appreciated the fact that I can refill it and operate it with one hand, and that I don’t need to add water. Plus! Their newer models will be implementing an advanced light sensor technology that I look forward to trying out! Use coupon code: BQR845 for $5 off.
Second Place: Thera Lux Diffuser by Edens Garden– $79.99 (Nebulizer)
Winning #1 in the Best Travel Diffuser Category, this little beast of a machine deserves 2nd place in overall diffusers. I’m not exactly sure why, but the small, compact style combined with the amazing timing features have me raving! You can choose how many second you want the oils to diffuse, how long of a pause you want, and also set an overall timer.
Third Place: TaoTronics 400ml Aroma Diffuser $44.99 (Ultrasonic)
I really love this ultrasonic diffuser. It’s affordable, beautiful (if you’re into the natural woodgrain look…which I am!), and it has a huge capacity to hold water. It will last about 16 hours in the intermittent mode. It’s simple, easy to use, affordable, and you can operate it one-handed. What’s not to love!?
Even More Diffuser Reviews!
These diffusers didn’t quite make the cut for any of the 5 categories above, but I still thought they warranted some reviews.
The Young Living Rainstone Diffuser $169.75 (or bundle with a starter kit for less)
Upsides: If it weren’t for the remote control, this diffuser would have been near the top of the “Best Overall” category…(From Young Living “Created with an exquisite and rare purple clay found only in a small region of China, each Rainstone Diffuser is handmade using ancient craftsmanship passed down from generation to generation for more than 1,000 years….a robust feature set, including continuous ultrasonic diffusion at 1.7 million waves per second; 1, 2, 3, 6, and 8 hour settings with automatic shutoff; five soft LED light settings (blue, yellow, purple, alternating each color, and off); a negative ionizer; and a remote control. All Young Living diffusers come with a 1 year warranty.
Downsides: A bit tricky to refill at first, but then you get the hang of it. And cleaning it is not the easiest task. If you lose the remote you can’t turn the unit on and will have to order a replacement.
The ZAQ Bamboo LightMist Diffuser: $71.32
Upsides: Very quiet motor, will last up to 12 hours in intermittent mode, can operate one-handed, beautiful design, sturdy and quality manufacturing.
Downsides: Only covers a very small space (which might be good if you want a very mild impact), price is a bit high for the size in my opinion, and the light does not shut off when finished operating.
The Young Living USB Diffuser $22.75
Upsides: So small! Very easy to travel with. Very quiet. And let’s be honest…it’s just cool!
Downsides: Needs a lot of oil to work properly. Will not cover a large space. Refilling the oil is a bit of a hassle.
The KokoAroma Air Vent Car Diffuser $20.95
Upsides: Low tech, perfect for your car vent, durable and well made, and super cute!
The Young Living Home Diffuser: $63.75 (or combine with a starter kit for less)
Upsides: Beautiful low light that you can turn on or off, has intermittent diffusing option, can operate it one handed, and it’s practically free if you bundle it with a starter kit. Will cover a fairly large space….I’ve personally used this diffuser for over 2 years now and I love it!
Downsides: It seems like with some of the Young Living diffuser, people will use them and they will last forever, and then with others, they arrive and don’t work right from the get go. For the later case you can always call Young Living and they will replace it no questions asked within the first year.
The GreenAir Creature Comforts Kids Diffuser $28.57
Upsides: It’s cute and inexpensive.
Downsides: As much as I hate leaving bad reviews, I feel obligated to steer my fellow oily lovers away from this diffuser as well as this company in general. I found the quality to be very poor. It did not last long and was very difficult to refill and handle. I also found the customer service and company itself to be disorganized and unreliable.
Wow! If you’ve gotten this far, I am impressed! You must be an oily addict like me! I hope you have found this article helpful.
Of course, this is a limited list of diffusers, and I know there are plenty of great ones left out of this review. Maybe next year! Also, be aware that by clicking on some of the links in this article, I may potentially be compensated in some way for the referral. This in no way altered my opinion nor does it change the cost of goods sold for you.
I hope you’ll tune in to my podcast, The Essential Oil Revolution, to learn more about essential oils and natural living.
Not yet a Young Living Member?
The Essential Oil Revolution Podcast features many Young Living Essential Oil Independent Distributors but is a completely separate entity from the company. Any information on the show in no way reflects the words or advice of Young Living Essential Oils. The information given on the show is meant for educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, cure, or treat anyone.